How do I know if my pledge went through?
If you didn't reach a "Thank you!" confirmation page and/or you didn't receive a confirmation email (title: "You just backed [Project Name]"), it's likely that your pledge did not go through. If the pledge cannot be submitted, you may also receive an error message on the pledge page.
I am having trouble pledging, what can I do?
In most cases, pledging troubles may be due to an issue with the card being used. We recommend the following troubleshooting steps:
- Double check to make sure that the credit card number, cardholder name, expiration date, security code, and zip code have all been entered correctly.
- Contact your bank to make sure there are no holds on your card, and to also make sure that:
- No additional authorization is required of you
- Your card is authorized for foreign transactions if your pledge is to a project in another country
- If you're using a pre-paid card or debit card, that you have enough funds available
- If you're pledging at a high amount, that your bank is aware that we may issue an authorization check for a portion of the total amount pledged.
- Some banks may be unfamiliar with how Kickstarter works, in that we authorize your card when you first pledge, but we do not charge it until later, if and when the project ends having met its funding goal. It's worth explaining this to the representative you speak with at your financial institution.
- If you continue to encounter errors, we recommend trying a different card.
If you’re still having trouble pledging after that, please contact our Support team.
I pledged to a project, but I don’t see the pledge on my account?
Firstly, we recommend double-checking that you are logged in to the correct Kickstarter account. If you are still not seeing your pledge on your account, and you didn’t receive a pledge confirmation email, please contact our Support team.
If you pledged as a guest, check your email inbox for a pledge confirmation email and a link to activate your Kickstarter account. If you didn’t receive a confirmation email, please contact our Support team.
I can’t remember the email address I used for my pledge?
If you are having trouble finding a pledge, or remembering the email address associated with your Kickstarter account, it’s possible that you might have mistyped your email address when pledging, and consequently you might not be receiving updates to your account.
We’re happy to help you locate your pledge or account, please get in touch with us to get this process started.
My pledge was declined. How can I retry my payment?
If your pledge is declined, you’ll be able to retry the payment. We recommend taking action promptly, however, as backers have 7 days to resolve payment issues before they're dropped from the project. Until your pledge has been successfully collected, we’ll send you an email every 48 hours with a direct link to correct the issue.
During the 7-day timeframe you can also log in to your Kickstarter account and click the “Fix payment” button in the banner at the top of your screen. On the next page, click the “Retry your payment” button to retry or update your pledge with a different card.
When a payment is declined, it may not necessarily be the case that there’s a specific issue with your card, so much as that you’ll need to ask your bank why this charge in particular is being declined. You may also want to include the following details for this transaction:
- The charge being from Kickstarter
- The amount pledged for the project
- The date when Kickstarter attempted to collect your pledge. This will be the date that the project you backed ended. If the project hasn't ended yet, you can use the date you attempted to pledge.
- Additionally, it may be helpful to request that your bank “whitelist” any charges from Kickstarter.
Once you’ve contacted your bank, feel free to log in to the Kickstarter account from which you pledged and click the “Fix Payment” button in the “Important Notifications” banner.
Please note that we'll automatically retry your pledge at the end of the 7-day timeframe, unless you’ve already fixed the payment.
How will I know when my pledge has gone through?
Once your pledge has been processed successfully, you’ll receive a confirmation email at the email address tied to your Kickstarter account. Rest assured, you will only be charged once for your pledge to the project.
If we’re still unable to process your payment at the end of the 7-day timeframe, your pledge will be dropped and you will no longer be considered a backer of the project. If your pledge is dropped and you would still like to support the project, we recommend contacting the project creator directly to try and sort out an alternative arrangement outside of Kickstarter.
I have a new email address and need help accessing pledges on an older account
If the email address associated with your Kickstarter account is no longer active, you’ll need to get in touch with us in order to answer a few security questions so that we can manually update your email address on the account.
Please contact our Support team and we’ll be happy to help you with this process as quickly as possible. Please have the details of your most recent pledge handy before contacting us.
I’m seeing multiple charges for the same pledge
You won’t be charged for your pledge until the moment a successful project ends. However, our payments processor may temporarily authorize your card to make sure it can be successfully charged.
While authorizations generally drop after a few days, this process can vary depending on the financial institution. If the authorization doesn’t drop in the week following a project’s deadline, we recommend contacting your bank for more details about their authorization procedure.
If you’re still unsure about any charges coming from Kickstarter, please get in touch.