Kickstarter’s survey tool makes it easy to collect information from your backers in order to fulfill rewards, such as mailing addresses, reward options (e.g. size, color, add-ons), or anything else you might need.
You can start building your surveys at any time during your project’s funding period. However, don’t worry about gathering backers' information before your project is funded. If backers are curious, let them know that you’ll follow up when you're ready to deliver their rewards. For more information about tools to help you with fulfillment, please visit the Creator Handbook.
To create a survey, simply follow the steps below:
- Open the creator menu on your project page and click the “Reward surveys” button
- Select the reward tier you are creating a survey for and, if you’d like, include an introduction for your backers
- Add questions by choosing from one of the three question formats in the dropdown menu: text (open answer), multiple choice, and address
- By default a question will require an answer, however you can choose to make some optional. Keep in mind that if a question isn’t optional backers will be unable to leave answers blank. If a question doesn't apply to everyone in that reward tier, make sure to provide them with the option to say "Not Applicable"
- We run the addresses that backers provide through a validation check, just to make sure that the address is properly formatted and to catch any typos
Remember, surveys can only be sent once per reward tier, so make sure that you are asking for everything you need in order to fulfill backers’ rewards.
You can view the survey responses in your backer report, or export them as a CSV file that you can open in Excel, Numbers, or any spreadsheet program.
How do I collect information related to add-on rewards?
If you need to collect specific information related to add-on rewards (such as size or color), we recommend including optional questions in your survey for the relevant reward tiers to allow backers who selected add-ons to provide the necessary information.
For any backers who haven’t selected a specific add-on they can either leave the text box blank or, if the question isn’t optional, write "Not Applicable".
If your backer report access has expired, you can request an extension following a few simple steps.