Q&A is a feature that allows you to engage with your backers and the Kickstarter community through question-and-answer–style project updates that delve into your creative process. (For example: What was the most valuable feedback you received during your project’s planning process?)
Through these questions, we encourage you to share your honest and thoughtful insight with your community. Keep in mind that while Q&A updates are a great way to connect with your backers regularly, this format is not a replacement for freeform project updates. We still advise you to release frequent updates to keep your backers informed of the specific progress made on your project.
How does it work?
When creating a new project update, you’ll be able to choose between a freeform or Q&A. If you choose Q&A, you’ll see a list of prompts in the form of questions. Feel free to dismiss or skip any questions you’re not comfortable answering.
You can preview your update before it’s sent to backers. We’ll notify them via email when you publish the update, and you’ll have 30 minutes to edit your update as it appears on your project page. Q&A updates will be visible to everyone—including visitors not logged in to Kickstarter.
Note: You can only post one Q&A update each month, and at this time it is not possible to return and answer skipped questions.
How do I compose a Q&A update?
- Expand the Menu sidebar on the left of your project page
- Click the “Post update” button
- Click the Q&A tab
- Add your answers below the question prompts
- Click “X” or leave an answer field blank if you’d like to skip a question
- If you haven’t published and want to return to a skipped question you dismissed, simply click on the question or the “+” icon and an answer field will open
- Click “Preview” to see your update as it will appear on your project page
- After you have thoroughly proofread everything, click “Publish” to share your answers as a project update and notify your backers via email
Why is Q&A content important?
Offering transparency around your progress and creative process can be inspiring to others, and provides a unique way for your backers to stay connected to the journey they joined when they backed your project.
As a creator, participating in Q&A can help you create a record of your work, and help you reflect on your process as it develops over time. We might also include your answers in our educational resources, or consider placing them in our editorial features.