We require each creator to verify their identity when launching a new project. This helps to ensure that there is an actual human being behind each project. The person behind the project who verifies their identity will be held responsible and liable for running and completing it. The verified individual can vary from project to project, which is why ID verification is required on each new project, regardless of whether it has been completed in the past.
How to verify your identity
You can verify your identity from the Payment tab of your project draft overview. There you’ll be prompted to select whether you will be collecting funds for the project as an individual or as a legal entity (a company). Then, under the “Identity Confirmation” section, you will be prompted to enter your personally verifiable information. During this process, it’s important to make sure you’re entering the correct information and that your details are free of typos.
Once you submit your details, you should see a note that reads "Confirming your identity" and "Refresh this page in a few minutes for updates". If you’ve refreshed this page a number of times, it’s been at least a day, and you’re still seeing this message, please contact us.
If the first verification attempt fails
If for any reason your identity cannot be verified through this process, you will likely see a new message that reads "We couldn't confirm your identity" or "Something went wrong". You might even be prompted to upload an image of your government-issued identity document.
To ensure the best chance of a smooth verification process from here, we recommend keeping the following in mind:
- Make sure that you are able to meet the eligibility requirements with respect to the country from which you are launching your project
- Double-check that the address you’re entering matches exactly what's on your verification documents
- Check for exact formatting and spelling
- If prompted to submit a document, make sure that your identity document image is a clear, color scan without any edges cut off, and no shadows
- If prompted to submit more than one document, make sure that you’re not uploading the same type of document more than once
- Acceptable document requirements for identity verification vary by country. If you’re unsure about the documents that you have on hand, you can search for acceptable document requirements by country here
If the second verification attempt fails
If your identity still cannot be verified, you will be prompted to complete the verification process directly with our payments processor, Stripe. In the Payment tab of your project, you’ll see a link to take you directly to Stripe where you will be asked for more information and further documents to complete the process. Be sure to revisit the recommendations above to check that your information is being entered appropriately.
If you continue to experience difficulty with this process, please contact our Support team who will be able to take a closer look and further troubleshoot any issues with you.