Kickstarter is dedicated to protecting the privacy of our users’ information, as such, a creator’s access to their backer report expires one year from the project’s latest estimated delivery date. For example, if a project has three reward tiers, with estimated delivery dates of July 2020, August 2020 and October 2020, access to that project’s backer report will expire September 30, 2021.
At the expiration date, a creator will no longer be able to automatically download and export their backer report in full, nor will they be able to view any of their backer’s personally identifiable information (or PII), such as email address or survey responses. To accompany this policy change, we've granted a 60-day grace period to certain creators whose projects are potentially impacted from fulfilling their rewards.
If access to your backer report has expired, you will need to request access by filling out the “Submit a ticket” form in this link, following the steps below. A member of our Trust & Safety Team will then review the details of your request and grant access accordingly.
- Choose an issue to submit your request: Creator questions
- Enter your Kickstarter account email address (Note: this must be the same email address used on the account tied to your Kickstarter project).
- My question / comment is about: Accessing my expired backer report
- Copy and paste the link of your project’s URL
- Respond to the following questions: a) What is your full name? b) What is your role in this project (e.g., creator, collaborator)? c) What is your project’s fulfillment status at this time? Approximately what percentage of rewards have you already sent to your backers? d) Why are you requesting access to your backer report at this time?
- Which of the following documents can you provide with this form? a) Passport b) Driver’s license c) Other government issued identity document (e.g., birth certificate, SIN or City ID card) d) I don’t have any of these, but still require access to my backer report for fulfilling rewards
- Attach a copy of your proof of identity to the ticket.
As a reminder, we expect creators to adhere to all of the following guidelines when handling their backers’ personal information:
- I will only use this information to fulfill the rewards in this Kickstarter project and nothing else. I will never abuse, sell or share details from the backer report.
- I will only share this information with my collaborators when it’s absolutely necessary to fulfill this project’s rewards. I understand that I’m accountable for their actions.
- I will never download or view the backer report on a shared computer, and I will delete the file once I’ve delivered all of the rewards in my project.
Avoid requesting access to your entire backer report if you only need information from a few individual backers. You can contact them directly using our messaging platform.
Take a look at these additional tips for communicating with your backers.